September 18, 2016
Categorised in: Computer Forensic & Cyber Applications
- It’s not a single protocol, it’s a suite of protocols
- TCP/IP is the first set of protocols used in internet
- Allows computers to communicate/share resources across a network.
- Work on TCP/IP started in 1970s.
- Funded by US military
- Advance research project Agency (ARPA)
- Network protocols of ARPANET were upgraded.
- The modern internet sits on top of the TCP/IP technology
- Used as a standard
- To bridge the gap between non-compatible platforms
- All computers connected to the internet understands TCP/IP
TCP/IP Protocol Suite
- Refers to family of protocol
- The protocols are built on the top of connectionless topology
- Data sent from one node to another as a sequence of datagrams.
- Each datagram sent independently
- The datagram corresponds to the same messages may follow different routes
TCP/IP Family Members
What does TCP do?
- TCP provides a connection-oriented reliable services for sending messages.
- Split a message into packets.
- Reassemble packets at destination
- Resend packets that were lost in transit.
- Interface with I/P :
- Each packet forwarded to IP for delivery.
- Error control is done by TCP
What does IP do?
- IP transports datagrams (packets) from the source nodes to destination node.
- Responsible for routing the packets.
- Breaks a packet into smaller packets, if required.
- Unreliable service
- A packet may be lost in transit
- Packets may arrive out of order
- Duplicate packets may be generated.
Pratik Kataria is currently learning Springboot and Hibernate.
Softwares known and worked on: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe After Effects.