Introduction to Algorithm
September 15, 2016
Categorised in: Design & Analysis of Algorithms
An algorithm is a sequence of unambiguous instructions for solving a
computational problem, i.e., for obtaining a required output for any
legitimate input in a finite amount of time.
More precisely, an algorithm is a method or process to solve a problem satisfying the following properties:
- Finiteness: Terminates after a finite number of steps.
- Definiteness: Each step must be rigorously and unambiguously specified.
- Input: Valid inputs must be clearly specified.
- Output: can be proved to produce the correct output given a valid input.
- Effectiveness: Steps must be sufficiently simple and basic.